Back to Results
Location: Reston Region
Category: Finance & Accounting
Employment Type: Direct Hire
The Global Payroll Manager is responsible for managing our U.S. and international payroll process. This is an individual contributor position that will report to the Corporate Accounting Manager. This position will provide the visionary and strategic direction of our U.S. and international payroll processes and operations. This role will also assist in building a global system utilizing the standard global processes. The ideal candidate will have excellent leadership skills in identifying and implementing payroll process improvements and strong project management skills to coordinate the planning, implementation and administration of programs. In addition, this role will require to work with the payroll vendor to develop, adjust, and/or enhance payroll systems and procedures due to changes in tax laws, regulations, and our pay policies/compensation initiatives. This position will foster relationships with internal stakeholders such as Tax, Legal, Human Resources, IT, as well as with our external vendors. This role is ideally suited for someone with the ability to lead, influence and effectively communicate cross-functionally in a fast-paced, growing and ever-changing environment. This position will also ensure timely and high value customer service to employees; including developing and adhering to established SLAs and ensuring research and responses are thorough.
- Payroll and benefits process: Manage U.S. and International payroll processing, compliance and work closely with the payroll vendors and accountants on various accounting activities, including exempt and non-exempt payrolls, expense report reimbursement, monthly/quarterly accounting close activities, account maintenance and reconciliations, financial reporting and variance analysis. Overall management and analysis of payroll operations and related activities that ensure compliance with U.S. and international jurisdictions for 700+ employees and growing. Ensure proper review are in place for payroll output from payroll vendor. This include all payroll inputs are accurately captured. Includes but not limited to performing payroll analysis such as total gross payroll to net payment, average paid per headcount by country, and comparison of analysis to prior period, etc. .
- Employee coordination: Respond to employee inquiries and serve as liaison between employee and third party providers; educate and counsel employees on how to use ADP Employee Self Service tools and address issues that fall outside the scope of self-service, including leaves of absence, benefits changes, hourly time tracking and overtime.
- Cross functional partnerships: Drive meetings with cross-functional departments (HR, IT, Legal, Strategic Finance, etc.) to identify and implement payroll process improvements and best practices to drive excellence and eliminate errors.
Payroll policies and procedures: Develop and implement payroll processes, policies and procedures to ensure proper internal controls, efficiency and a great employee experience. Document policies and procedures on internal Confluence page.
- Third-parties: Manage third-party vendors (including international payroll providers and PEOs) and the preparation, analysis and maintenance of all payroll related reports, including governmental and regulatory filings.
- General ledger: Ensure all payroll activities are posted to the general ledger and payroll accounts are reconciled timely and accurately, including month-end, year-end, and bonus, commissions and PTO accruals.
- Partnerships: Work with internal partners in People Operations/Recruiting/Strategic Finance/Legal to facilitate and improve the payroll processes, including benefits and withholdings (e.g. leave of absence, employee benefits, 401k, FSA, etc.)
- Compliance: Review all payroll reporting and ensure accurate and timely filing with appropriate government authorities. Support external financial audit. Manage any payroll related audits e.g. 401(k), worker’s compensation, ESD, etc.
- Year End: Managed the annual preparation and delivery of Form W-2s and 1099’s.
- Special Projects: Provide ad-hoc support and services as needed.
- Experience: BS degree or equivalent. CPP designation strongly preferred. Minimum of 5-7 years of end-to-end payroll processing experience including companies with 200+ employees International experience with Canadian, EMEA and/or APAC a plus.
- Systems: Advanced level experience with ADP Workforce Now, PlanSource, Concur, Workday, NetSuite (or equivalent ERP) and Excel (think pivot tables and lookups).
- Process Oriented: Strong understanding of payroll processes and best practices. Excellent management and organizational skills.