Back to Results
Location: Washington DC Region
Category: Finance & Accounting
Employment Type: Contract To Hire
This Hirestrategy Client is one of the largest construction companies in the DMV Area. This position has a growth trajectory and opportunity to become the Assistant Controller after 3 years.
The Accounting Assistant is responsible for all construction accounts receivables. Collaborate with five project managers to administer monthly billings, collections and related lien/release filings in compliance with construction contracts ($100K-$2M). Oversee and coordinate accounts payables. Assist in managing the company’s overall cash flow utilizing specialized knowledge of how construction projects impact cash, percentage complete revenue recognition, retention and GC-subcontractor tiers in collection/payment dynamics. Understanding the correlation between collections and related construction payables commitments on job accounts is essential. Reports to the Accounting Manager.
- Support Project Managers responding to and resolving questions regarding work in progress and cost-to-complete reporting, job costing, billing, subcontract management and change order procedures.
- Administer monthly progress and milestone billings and follow up on collecting project receivables.
- Work across various tiers of a construction project (Owner, GC, Sub, Sub-tier, Suppliers) fulfilling Mechanics Lien processing requirements including preliminary notices, conditional releases, unconditional releases and tracking substantial completion.
- Oversee accounts payable including overhead, employee benefits, inventory, fixed asset, job cost, with GL and job cost sub-ledger coding, subcontractor invoices, partial PO invoices; and project processes ensuring accurate and timely completion. Assess and determine weekly payments identifying critical job, supplier and sub related payments in accordance with actual and projected collections.
- Monitor and reconcile daily cash balance. Maintain a schedule of future recurring outflows including EFTs, payroll, and material deposits.
- Reconcile monthly balance sheets to the Trial Balance entering adjusting journals as needed. Reconcile bank statement activity to system transactions.
- Associate degree in accounting or finance is preferred, or equivalent work experience
- 4-5 years’ experience in high volume accounting in a construction environment
- Experience with Sage Contractor 100, Master Builder, or other construction accounting systems and electronic construction billing systems
- Experience working with a multi-tiered, GL-job cost coding schema and understand the correlation between collections and related construction payables
- Demonstrated experience managing GL, journal entries and reconciliation; familiarity with balance sheets, income statements and work-in-progress preferred
- Intermediate-advanced experience with MS Excel and Word including use of formulas, VLOOKUP, and data validation
- Strong experience re-defining workflows for process improvement