Back to Results
Location: Dallas Region
Category: Information Technology
Employment Type: Contract To Hire
Job Title: DBA
The Database Administrator (DBA) is the second level position in the Database Systems Job Family. Candidates often have 3-5 years of strong IT technical experience. The person in this highly technical non-management position provides services in the areas of database administration, data modeling, database design, database development, application design, and analysis. Consequently, the Database Administrator must have and maintain, highly developed database skills, system technical skills, operating system knowledge as applicable to databases. Incumbents will gain this knowledge through assigned tasks and experience in the role. Incumbents in this position would typically support small to medium projects with limited scope. Incumbents in this role are typically monitored in their work tasks; using the guidance of the database - Senior, Specialist and Manager roles.
Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for supporting the database tasks assigned by the Database team or the project being supported.
- Support existing production and test database environments by doing upgrades, maintenance, and diagnostics as required. Including providing Database Production failure support on a 24/7/365 basis.
- Assist in ensuring database data is backed up and recoverable based on the SLO of the applications; and in ensuring appropriate disaster recovery procedures are in place.
- Enforce data integrity and security guidelines for data managed in Enterprise Databases.
- Monitor and correct database availability and performance issues with Enterprise Databases.
- Provide Database Administration support for in-house and purchased applications. Including:
- Install, upgrade and deploy database (DBMS) software and utilities as necessary.
- Design and create new databases as required to implement applications.
- Configure database servers to better support the requirements of the Enterprise Databases.
- Assisting in defining hardware and software specifications to meet the requirements of Enterprise Databases.
- Assist in monitoring database storage usage.
- Perfect skills that will allow the ability to analyze and tune new and existing database systems to maximize overall system performance and response times.
- Communication skills and ability to work as a team are major factors in being effective in this job function.
- Knowledge of subject matter required for job.
- Acquisition of new knowledge relevant to job.
- Recommendations of new or innovative ideas to support the company's mission.
- Customer satisfaction with quality of work.
- Customer satisfaction with interpersonal skills.
- Completion of tasks on a timely basis.
- Productive use of time when deadlines are not imminent.
- Availability to perform tasks and flexibility to respond to requests/questions from Home Office staff.
- Acceptance of overtime work as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (Competencies) Required
- Must possess moderate to good knowledge of either Oracle, SQL Server or DB2.
- Basic knowledge application design using databases.
- Must be able to write and understand SQL language.
- Must possess strong analytical skills relative to database design.
- Must be able to work tasks independently.
- Must be self-motivated with the initiative to take on new tasks.
- Must be able to recommend new solutions to issues.
- Must be able to read technical documentation.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills to work effectively with others on a team.
- Must be able to communicate in English, both verbally and in writing.
- High school education or equivalent.
- Preferred college degree in a computer-related field.
- Motivated candidate with 3 - 5 years in a technical IT job role.
Typical Career Path
- Senior Information Technology Application Development or Operational role
- Database Administrator
- Senior Database Administrator
- Enterprise Database Specialist