Back to Results
Sr. Technical Writer
Location: Houston Region
Category: Information Technology
Employment Type: Contract
- This company operates the most technologically-advanced remotely operated vehicles (ROVs) for use in the deep ocean and their customers rely on clear and concise instructions to keep their machines in top condition. They are looking for a technical writer to develop service and repair manuals for subsea robotic products. Candidates should have a proven track record of developing strong working relationships with engineers, customer service personnel, and end users. Candidates should have a demonstrated ability to leverage those relationships to extract technical information and convey it via the best media to end users.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Write, edit, and illustrate content for new and existing technical manuals, gathering information from FMC Schilling Robotics subject matter experts and technical documents.
- Verify technical manual content using information from subject matter experts.
- Track the engineering product change order (PCO) process to determine impact on technical documentation – create new documents or modify existing ones as needed.
- Product teardown and assembly: Mentor less experienced personnel in product teardown and reassembly to create reliable service instruction procedures.
- Devise and recommend new document types and formats that are responsive to needs of customers and field service staff.
- Function as the technical, project, and department lead.
- Other applicable duties, as assigned or required.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, technical writing, communications, related field or demonstrated experience with highly complex electro-mechanical and hydraulic systems.
- 8+ years of experience creating technical documents and publications.
- Experience with HTML-based publishing, e.g., Flare, FrameMaker, Acrobat, MS Office, Photo Shop, Illustrator, and related programs.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.