Back to Results
Senior Performance Engineer
Location: Rockville Region
Category: Information Technology
Employment Type: Direct Hire
Our client in the Tysons Va. area is looking for a talented and motivated infrastructure capacity and performance engineer who will design, support and build service-centric performance and capacity processes across a variety of infrastructure components.
The Sr. Performance Engineer will work with stakeholders and business owners to ensure that scheduling, testing and reporting are provided for each consumer of the Stress environment. The Engineer will deliver stress and performance testing support to the IT teams including system management and preparation, performance/stress test execution assistance, reporting assistance, troubleshooting and operational support.
This position requires an individual who is highly collaborative, open, transparent, and bottom line focused. To be successful, this individual must bring both the energy and experience required to drive business aligned change in a complex environment, while building a strong service relationship with their peers in IT. He / She will work closely with their peers, as well as broader technology organization to support the absolute highest levels of quality, availability, and reliability
- Define, implement, and support a well-governed infrastructure capacity and performance process, supported by forecasting and demand management activities, which ensures consistent service performance, avoids urgent and unplanned investments, and provides consistent information for proactive decision-making
- Transform capacity and performance activities from reactive to proactive, enabling improved visibility for service providers and consumers
- Promote the use of current tools, and drive the evaluation of new tools, to capitalize on the predictive capabilities and anomaly detection
- Collaborate across technical domains to harmonize the collection, analysis, and reporting of performance and capacity data
- Drive the continuous review of capacity and performance metrics, mining the data for optimization opportunities that lower unit costs while limiting incremental risk
- Avoid unplanned and urgent upgrades that could undermine budgets, the planning process, and service owners' credibility.
- Minimize unacceptable performance that may impact the business so severely that business processing stops
- Provide service providers with timely capacity, performance and fault analysis
- Alert on anomalies in performance and capacity before they escalate into service-impacting outages
- Ensure that key metrics are measured and data collection is consistent across all platforms
- Work closely with monitoring team to ensure end-to-end visibility and rationalize enterprise monitoring tools
- Responsible for Configuration Items (CI), CI relationships, and CMDB integration to ensure normalization of data across technical domains and service management
- Responsible for ensuring monitoring is in line with SLA/SLTs
- Provide engineering analysis of pending environment changes to ensure SLAs can be maintained
- Support the definition of SLAs, KPIs, and forecasting (demand management) measures for delivering Cloud services
- Partner with adjacent infrastructure and application domain engineers to ensure cohesive, end-to-end solutions meet business objectives in a cost-effective way
- Support a culture of strong accountability by reinforcing the need for leveraging consistent inputs and outputs between plan, build, and run functions
- Establish and maintain excellent partnerships with key internal providers of server, storage, network, platform services (middleware & database), systems management, incident, problem, and change, and other key IT services
- Work with application support, enterprise testing and quality assurance to leverage and incorporate their shared services into the infrastructure capacity and performance process
- Supports the attraction, development, and retention of talent through mentoring and leading by example
- MUST Have strong knowledge of AWS or any other Cloud provider Infrastructure service offerings.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent technical experience.
- 10+ years of professional experience. Preferably having depth of IT experience that includes operations, engineering, and architecture services in large scale enterprises.
- Demonstrated knowledge of key trends and disruptors
- Strong product and solution knowledge with a proven ability to drive technology and culture change
- Excellent knowledge of ITIL and service based delivery models with 7x24x365 operations
- Prior experience identifying the need, building the business case, gaining executive support, designing, implementing, and supporting a modern infrastructure capacity and performance management process is highly desirable
- 10+ years of experience providing infrastructure engineering services
- Demonstrated ability to understand and decompose enterprise systems, methodically analyze complex problems, and provide insightful and actionable recommendations.
- Strong experience with VMware, EMC, NetApp, Cisco, Microsoft, Red Hat
- Excellent track record of structured, logical, and methodical approach to problem solving, data gathering, and analysis
- Data Center planning including Disaster Recovery services
- Proven ability to engineer solutions that are performant, flexible, secure, compliant, and reduce overall risk while delivery superior service
- Experience with cost transparency (chargeback / showback), workflows, and capacity planning
- Advanced troubleshooting and problem resolution skills for private, hybrid, and public clouds
- Excellent written and oral communication skills that enable the individual to create alignment around objectives and drive personal accountability across the delivery teams
- Demonstrated ability to be an assertive, charismatic, energetic and results-driven individual that work effectively across all organizations within the company
- Strong interpersonal skills with a natural and proven ability to collaborate deeply with others. Must have the ability to form strong connections with peers, senior leadership, and subordinates
- Vendor management experience including creation of statements of work, contract negotiations, price negotiations